Friday, May 28, 2004

weekend films

My trip to Billy the Pirate was unexpectedly rewarding. I was able to get a few films I've been wanting to see, plus an Almodovar I used to have on laserdisc.

I love film. I love the craft of it, the way things are put together, the marriage of script, direction, acting, visuals, sound and editing. In fact, I am so tempted by an offer to attend the new film school in Cebu - there's even an offer for me to teach writing (if I actually had the time and the talent, I'd love to become a filmmaker when I'm older and have something to say in the language of film).

My taste in films I enjoy watching leans heavily towards Asian (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam) and Latin American cinema. In these films I find a certain kind of energy, truthfulness, daring and no eye candy just for the sake of being cool.

Here's the stuff I picked up today, a mix of old and newish:

Jing ke ci qin wang better known as The Emperor and the Assassin - I like Chen Kaige's eye almost as much as I like his writing (Temptress Moon, Farewell My Concubine).

Central do Brasil (Central Station) - Walter Salles tells a story both beautiful and sad, about quests and longing.

Zatoichi - Takeshi Kitano is one of my favorite Japanese actor/directors. I loved him especially in Batoru rowaiaru (Battle Royale).

¡Átame! (Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down) I used to have this old comedy and am delighted to have a Dvd copy at last. I enjoyed Almodovar's previous work, especially Hable con ella, Todo sobre mi madre and Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios.

I also went out on limb and picked up Suriyothai, directed by Chatrichalerm Yukol. I rarely get to see films from Thailand that do not have to do with transvestite volleyball players, so this 16th century epic should be an interesting watch (even though it has been critically panned left and right).

From local cinema, I got, a sexy thing written by my friend Sarge Lacuesta. Basically, I'm curious to see how a multiple Palanca Awardee like him writes a script. And, well, Juliana Palermo is hot.

And yes, I picked up Girl With A Pearl Earring because, well, Scarlett Johansson is...interesting (I can't decide if she's attractive to me, but I loved her in Lost in Translation).


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home