Wednesday, January 08, 2003

odds and ends

weddings


If, like Cynthia Bauzon and Arnold Arre, you're planning to tie the knot, then point your browser to Weddings At Work. This site is run by a good friend of mine, John Rana, and is an invaluable source of information. As you know, planning a wedding is no mean feat. This resource is tops.

Like Nikki and I did, Arn and Cyn are taking a year to do all their preparations - which is a good idea, considering the plethora of details involved.

Of course, you could always just elope.

Or have a civil marriage


weekend reading

I borrowed the superthick Ghost In A Shell manga by Masamune Shirow. Jason warned me that his mind started to wander halfway through. I gave it a shot and didn't make it past the first chapter.

Why? Because it everything about it bored me to tears. The dense, erratic storytelling did nothing to persuade me otherwise.

But I did give it a try.

*

My best friend Vin gave me a copy of Andi Watson's Slow News Day for my birthday, along with a whole bunch of other stuff to read. I was excited to read SND, chiefly because I ended up loathing Watson's earlier work (Breakfast After Noon, which I really tried to like - but it was horribly written, Eisner-nominated or not), and because Cyn and Arn liked it.

Well, after reading it, I passed it to Nikki with no comment. After she finished, we looked at each other and rolled up our eyeballs.

And that is our common reaction, folks.

More insipid, banal and emotionally-untrue writing.

After giving this author 2 chances, I think I'm justified in dropping him from my list forever. Gah.

It's not my cup of tea (though I like his artwork).


thinking of moving

Yes, with Sage starting to walk, my little family desperately needs space. It is with a heavy heart that we make plans of leaving Le Gran, having grown to love our little place - but Sage requires a larger space. The stuffed toys that are given to her weekly by her Grandma Meng need a room of their own.

I wanted to stay in the same Greenhills area (it's safe, comfy, convenient and I can walk to my office), but the price tags attached to 2 or 3 bedroom condo units here are just so incredibly astronomical that even thinking of putting together the rent advance and deposit makes my head spin. What more actually paying the ludicrous rent on a monthly basis? You see, we pay for the rent, plus the condo dues, plus the parking space. Gah, indeed.

The other option is to move to the nearby Ortigas Area, where rates are strangely uneven. I won't be able to walk to work anymore, but we'll be in spitting distance of 3 huge malls and the main road.

We'll see. Nikki is on top of the situation and has begun visiting potential places.

Hmmm. Or maybe we just rent a house?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home