Friday, May 28, 2004

dean kestrel

I just had a peculiar experience with Max Barry's novel "Jennifer Government" (2003). I picked it up and did not put it down until I finished it.

This is odd because I'm very picky when it comes to novels I read (I love to read but I cannot abide crap). Barry's work is not fantastic, his prose is not mindblowing, the concepts are nothing new, the characters are not finely drawn...

And yet.

It works. The entire thing works.

It had the same effect on Nikki as well, snobby reader that she is.

In Barry's world, corporations dominate everything - to the extent that persons' last names are the names of the corporations they work for: Hack Nike, Buy Mitsui, Theo Pepsi, Haydee McDonald's, Dean Kestrel.

I ended up enjoying the book, in the same way that I enjoy the occasional mindless action film - except that this is not mindless, not by a long shot.

Go and get a copy and judge for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home