Wednesday, July 14, 2004

sundry

learning


I had a great morning talking about promos to the crew. Given the fact that we have new faces, it made sense to spend some time going over the basics so everyone speaks a common language.

What really made my day was how everyone took to the notions like ducks to water, and in no time flat were already conceptualizing mechanics for discounts, premiums, games, contests, redemption and raffles.

It’s good to have people who are quick learners and willing to expand their skill sets.

The truth of the matter is that in business, as well as in life, knowing more about things and how they work is a definite advantage. This has been my philosophy in life – to learn more about things I don’t know about and to try my best to combat ignorance concerning matters that I should be able to control.

There are times I wish I had studied more in college, or even become a lawyer, but when I consider that all of life is a process of learning, I feel okay.

This does not sate my hunger to learn more though, which is why I read when I can (and make certain to make time to read non-fiction). I talk to people who know things I don’t know as well and take mental notes. And I try things out.

This has helped me with my first business, where I sometimes put on a consultant’s hat for various things, and I know it will help me in my second endeavor. Or at least, that’s the plan.

Juggling the life of an entrepreneur and a creative sometimes gets stressful but is never without interesting moments.

You just have to keep an open attitude and keep on absorbing.

watch face


Like watches, for instance.

I’ll be the first to admit I was never really into watches.

I don’t wear one.

But since I want the watch account, I damn well should understand the whys and wherefores of the trade.

I started today by visiting one of the many watch stores of the watch account at Rockwell (and kicked myself for completely forgetting that there was a bookstore I wanted to visit – but I was working). I was exposed to the bewildering variety of watches – sports, fashion, jewelry, you name it, it’s there (well not the mega expensive Patek Philippe).

I tried to feel watch lust and eventually grew to desire a slim sexy model with a small watch face. However, when I inquired how much it cost, I reverted quickly to the “I don’t need a watch” mode.

But still.

To get “into character”, I may have to start wearing one.

Or get the one I want for free (well, one can hope, right?).

color and fabric


I spent the rest of the day with the clothing client and got a sneak peek at the Fall/Holiday that will hit the shelves in a few months.

Now this, I understand.

I fell in love with the palette – and not one of them was black. It was all the colors of autumn: olives, browns, and rust.

I begged for a pair of pants and a jacket, and my client looked at me with such utter kindness that could only spell hope.

After all, shouldn’t the agency that handles the account look snazzy as well (so I can impress my girls on the side, haha).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home