Thursday, January 06, 2005

daddy sleeps

My work life right now is quite hectic, with having to deal with the several projects on my plate. I've needed to rush around meeting clients and suppliers while somehow continuing to work in transit (thanks to the cell phone and the laptop) just not to waste too much time. It ramps up next week when I do my one-day tour of several store locations for a client in Imus, Dasmarinas, Sta. Rosa, Alabang and Harrison Plaza, make a couple of pitches, revisit a web project, implement a marketing plan and create and make arrangements for billboards, newspaper ads, and various collaterals. I'm dizzy just thinking about it. It doesn't feel like there was a Christmas break at all. Or the one I had seems like a vague manufactured memory instead of something that really happened.

Which is why time to be with my family, to read, to write, to play games, to wind down or just sleep is precious, like everything that is in short supply. Normally, I try not to take work home with me, but often it is impossible not to. When you own your own business, the divide between worktime and hometime is tenuous. It's hard not to accept client calls from overseas when work is offered in the wee hours of the morning. Or when something just has to be finished even after the formal office hours are exhausted. But it is important to make time away from work. It really is.

I feel bad about yesterday. I came home after a long and grueling afternoon meeting with a client where I came up with an impromptu marketing and media plan for three brands for the year. Sage greeted me at the door and asked me if we could play in her room. I took off my shoes and we went to her room where she decided we would play with The Incredibles action figures, a Mickey Mouse lunchbox, and a plastic plant which doubled as a watermelon drink. We played for a while with her bed as the staging ground (because our stories and scenarios are like plays, of course, with voices and stuff) and the next thing I knew, I woke up in darkness, hearing the voices of Nikki and Sage as they played quietly nearby.

Yes, I fell asleep on my daughter in the midst of playing "rescue the Incredible kids from the Mickey Mouse lunchbox and stop the watermelon drink's evil scheme".

Nikki says that she entered the room and found Sage playing beside me.

NIKKI: Hi, sweetie.

SAGE: Mommy, shhh. You have to be quiet. Daddy's sleeping.

I really have no excuse this time (playing with action figures is several steps up from the continuing sage of Skankabarbie) except for fatigue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home