Friday, February 02, 2007

planar chaos

Every four months or so, Wizards of the Coast releases the latest set for Magic: The Gathering - and like a zombie, I plunk down money to get myself a box of boosters and most (if not all) of the preconstructed decks.

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was 1995), I was the first Philippine National Champion for Magic (Nikki, for a while was the highest ranked woman globally, and represented the Philippines at the World Championships in Seattle in 1998). Soon after that, I joined the company which distributed the cards and became the a judge and tourney organizer. Those were fun and heady days - my work primarily consisted of keeping the game alive and fresh, as well as travelling. Because of Magic, I travelled to China, Japan and the US, plus many places in our own archipelago. I truly loved the game, the way it rewarded creativity and intelligent play. I made a lot of friends and learned much during the years I worked for Novelty.

I quit competitive play for a number of reasons, but never truly stopped playing - thanks to my cutthroat competitor of a wife. So every time there's a new set, we get cards and play into the wee hours of the morning.

The latest set is called Planar Chaos, and it's quite a cool addition to the Time Spiral block.

So if anyone wants a pickup game from a grizzled veteran (or two), let me know.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home