Tuesday, July 31, 2007

hustling during breaktime

With only the final polishing to be done on a new story ("Listing"), I treated myself to a viewing of one of my most enjoyed films - Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle. I loved it the first time I saw it and loved it all over again tonight.

I've been a fan since Nikki and I lived in Hong Kong and could actually check out the Night Market where parts of Shaolin Soccer was filmed (remember that wonderful scene with Karen Mok?).

What I like best is the sensibility of this film, where the Hong Kong manner is presented while walking the fine line between whimsy and absurdity. Naturally, the film has flaws, but really, who cares?

And the Axe Gang? Gotta love dancing gangsters (which goes a long way towards explaining my morbid fascination with Warden Garcia's crew).

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home