Friday, July 20, 2007

the road to publication: blueprints

Another big step towards the collection's reality today.

I received the blueprints for the book from Anvil and made the last small corrections. It's exciting holding the blueprints and leafing through the pages (even though I think I have lost all capacity to edit these stories of mine beyond the obvious formatting errors).

All the blurbs are also in, and it's truly humbling reading through them. Keep in mind that the purpose of blurbs is to help sell the book - any other nicey feelings the author feels are incidental. But, yes, it feels good. I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

The last bits of work to be done involve the cover, especially the new Anvil Fantasy imprint logo to be designed by Andrew Drilon, whose interior illustrations rocked the publisher's world (and when you see them, you'll understand why - they're incredible). I'm happy to have my book inaugurate the new Anvil Fantasy line (even I disagreed with the use of "spec fic" as a bookstore label - too confusing, too vague). I'm certain it will be the first of many books of the imagination from many authors.

We're also looking at the new Fully Booked as the launch venue, moving the launch date after the Book Fair, which means sometime in September. The LitCritters will perform (!) a one-act play based on the title story, which won the Palanca in 2004 (which means in addition to literary criticism and writing stories, we'll be rehearsing too para hindi naman nakakahiya hahaha).

Managing magnificently through the process of getting the book out are the tireless Ani Habulan and Karina Bolasco of Anvil Publishing. I've been blessed to work with wonderful publishers - for Salamanca, it was ever-patient Maricor Baytion of Ateneo Press. I wish I had their grace (I'm more of the gruff, come on let's do this kind of publisher myself).

So malapit na.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home