Saturday, September 07, 2002

More quiz madness:
































Which Classic Book Are You?
Book: Lady Murasaki Shikibu's The Tale of Genji.
Synopsis: Widely acknowledged as the world's first novel, this astonishingly lovely book was written by a court lady in Heian Japan and offers a window into that formal, mannered world. Genji, a man of passionate impulses and a lover of beauty, is the favorite son of the Emperor, though his position at court is not entirely stable. He follows his wayward longings through moonlight-soaked gardens and jeweled pavilions, with mysterious women such as the Lady of the Orange Blossoms, the Akashi lady, and his own father's Empress.
Excerpt: Next day Genji wrote a note to Tamakatsura in which he said: 'How did you get on yesterday? Were you able to see the procession properly? I am sure that, if you were, you now take a very different view about my recent proposal...' She was at first amused by the notion that a fleeting glimpse through the window of a palanquin could have altered her decision about serving at the Palace. But after a moment's reflection she realized that this was precisely what had happened. How clever he always was at guessing what went on in other people's heads!
Amazon: The Tale of Genji
Which Classic Book Are You?



Nice. Nikki will be amused.

Anyhow, look at this! I love stuff with content.

Moving on to movie symbolism…


American Beauty, Symbolism: The Color Red


what movie symbolism are you? find out!

Hmmm. Caught the film in New York during our last visit there. I recall liking much about it, especially the writing and the acting. I remember an argument I had with the presently embattled Mayor of Taguig (my ex-boss, the honorable Freddie Tinga) about it. His point was it was undeserving of any Filipino sympathy because it just continued to perpetuate middle class American angst. Well.

I would have preferred this result:


Lola Rennt (Run, Lola, Run) Symbolism: Clocks


what movie symbolism are you? find out!

Why? Because I loved the film! But selecting the result of a quiz you take is not exactly kosher, is it?

It’s almost noontime over here, and I have some music playing while I write and putter around the house. Sage loves music, and right now it’s Sakamoto’s Media Bahn album playing.

I owe two of my old high school barkada for this kind of music – Riza and Jasmin. When we used to angst around the end of corridors, they’d always have music no else in school knew about – several cuts above whatever popular new wave crap everyone else was listening to. So I was exposed to stuff like the Dolphin Brothers, Japan, and Yellow Magic Orchestra. But my favorite was Sakamoto, of course.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home