Friday, December 06, 2002

sagewatch

I probably sound like a broken record, but I can't get over how quickly time seems to fly.

I remember just a while back that Sage could fit comfortably in the span of space between my hand and inner elbow. If I tried to carry her that way now, I'd most likely break my arm. I also recall the times when she was the soul of silence (except when she was hungry or wet), looking up and watching her mobile spin round and round above her. Or when we'd fear she'd drown in the little blue bathtub that encompassed her entire tiny being.

She's getting bigger and stronger and faster and smarter (SFX: Six Million Dollar Man Theme).

I woke up late this morning to the sound her speech (like the language of elves - which really should not be surprising considering what "Alfar" means, and I'm still in awe that she is no changeling and is 100% ours), so I followed the sounds and found her on the floor, encircled by her books (several titles including ABC, Old McDonald, Counting to 10 and the incongruous "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King). She was looking at the pictures, pointing at animals and people with her forefingers and happily "talking" to them. (This is a big step, because previously, she would just smile and then try to eat any book we read to her.)

I stood there, just watching my little girl and I felt old and young at the same time, my heart filling up with the joy of being a father (her father!) and I thought of the day when I can take her to a bookstore and get her books of her choosing. I want to shower her with everything - the reward is the smile on her face and the trill of her tongue as she shapes laughter into music that never fails to bring me to the verge of tears.

What will she be when she grows up?

Anything and everything she wants.

Nikki and I will build her world until the time she constructs her own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home