Thursday, July 10, 2003

jump

Aztec Camera's smooth-as-silk cover didn't do it.

But the original version by Van Halen did.

When the opening chords of the former #1 song rushed out of the speakers, Sage revealed the rocker in her blood and began dancing -

I get up, and nothing gets me down.
You got it tough. I've seen the toughest around.
And I know, baby, just how you feel.
You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real


- swinging her arms, clapping her hands, moving her little butt to the beat, her eyes wide, her laughter in counterpoint to David Lee Roth's vocals. This led to her jumping around the bed, bounding over her parents, twisting and tumbling and all the while singing in the language of the Wee Folk, while we watched her and marveled at the impossible existence of this wonderful child, our own little girl.

(Earlier today, at the common playroom on the roofdeck, Sage monopolized one of the mini-cars. A little boy, a couple of years older, asked her if he could use the vehicle. She turned to him and unleashed a torrent of words whose power went beyond meaning and semiotics. The would-be carnapper (polite as he was) left her in peace. Ah, she is my daughter.)


damn you, fully booked

I passed by Rockwell for a client meeting and checked out Fully Booked and was quite offended to see that they had a fresh batch of new comic trades, including stuff like Kia Asamiya's Child of Dreams and a variety of other things. I had no cash with me (which was both good and bad) and Rockwell is notorious for having nary a friendly ATM that would accept my card.

There's something about seeing so many trades in front of you, their colors vying for attention. "Buy me, buy me..."

Damn them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home