Monday, October 27, 2003

lies well told

If there is any book so simply must read (and you must make time for), it's Baudolino by Umberto Eco.

Set around a thousand years ago, it is at once a travelogue, catalogue of heresies, history both true and false, a treatise on love, friendship, loyalty and dreams, while deftly describing the best and worst of human (and monstrous) nature. Somewhere in the book are a locked-room mystery, discussions on the impossiblity of the vacuum, cities birthed (but more often destroyed), the seven (or so) heads of John the Baptist, satyrs-that-are-not-seen, and the mysterious Kingdom of Prester John.

And the grasal, of course.

I don't know if my intelligence has risen a bit (or if Eco has become less erudite), but I found myself entirely immersed and comprehending the novel (a far cry from my trauma with the pendulum novel).

I wish I had bought it the first time I saw in, in hardback. Still, better late than never.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jone Martin said...

Definitely, World become a shadow of lies. Everyone told lies in its field. Moreover, you can have reached your luggage save and sound from Long Distance Moving services in Ridgefield CT and enjoy in your new life.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home