Wednesday, August 30, 2006

whelmed

Things have been busy at work and real life, leaving both my writing and my online existence to languish, waiting for their turns with me.

These days, I find it hard to focus on work, to concentrate on the little details, the small things that make any material rise above the rest. Part of my brain is in zombie mode, and I realize that my a bit of my zeal for what I'm doing has diminished slightly. After several years, I'm getting worn down by the entire service industry thing, and would prefer, within five or so years, to shift to some other kind of business. If I had my way, I'd teach in college, or be a freelance editor of some sort, putting together book projects. Something still delightfully challenging but less stressful (but I cannot imagine myself staying long in a job without a smidgen of stress - it would produce waves upon waves of ennui and drown me in the end) - but I enjoy being a businessman, love the entrepreneurial mindset, and thrill to the problems of running it, so I don't know. Maybe I'm just tired.

Writing is also very slow. Perhaps unconsciously I'm just waiting for the beginning of next month. It's almost as if, writing-wise, I adhere to a fiscal year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home