Thursday, September 04, 2008

book fair sked

Apart from my annual opportunity to sniff out new books, I have a couple of other reasons to be at the 29th Manila International Book Fair at the SMX Convention Center (Mall of Asia) next week.

On the evening of Sept 12, Ateneo Press and I will be there to receive a Gintong Aklat Award for "Salamanca". The Book Development Association of the Philippines (BDAP) hands out the Gintong Aklat Awards every 2 years to outstanding book publishers based on the quality of books they produce year after year. Content is just one of the criteria, along with Quality of Production, Book Design, and Language. Ateneo Press, under my publisher Maricor Baytion, did a great job. Apart from the Palanca in 2005, Salamanca was also a finalist in for Juan C. Laya Award for Best Novel in a Foreign Language in 2006.

On Sept 14, I'll be on the "Publish or Perish" panel along with Jade Bernas (Story Philippines) and Kenneth Yu (The Digest of Philippine Genre Stories). I'll be wearing my hat as the publisher of the Philippine Speculative Fiction annuals. That's at 1PM.

On Sept 16, there's the panel on blogs I'll be on, part of the Pistang Panitik of Likhaan: UP Institute of Creative Writing and the Pambansang Komisyon para sa Kultura at Sining. I'll be joining Marne Kilates, Bobby AƱonuevo, Sonny Villafania, and Vlad Gonzales. That's at 10AM.

It seems my big expense will be transporation - not books. I'm hoping for hotdogs!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home