Thursday, March 25, 2010

health schmealth

Sadly, I can't go "health schmealth" anymore. As I grow older, parts of me are just getting tired. This year, my litany of woes continued to grow, and so I finally finally decided to do something about the things I could do something about - bridgework for my teeth (yes, I honestly prefer to chew instead of gumming my food to death) despite my fear of the dentist (I take on the multiple injections, both long and short, with a certain degree of quivering resignation), and help for my eyes.

For around 25 years, I have been relying on my right eye for almost all of my sight, as my poor near-sighted astigmatic left eye can barely see jack shit. A decade or so ago, i had a brief dalliance with glasses (smashed, lost, sat upon, bent) and contact lenses (or, more properly, contact lens - since I wore only one) which did not work out (swallowed it - a long and somewhat amusing story). But with the onset of age and the incipient threat of farsightedness for my working eye, a visit to the optha was in the cards.

When lenses were tested for my left eye, and when we achieved one that permitted me to SEE, I was beside myself with joy. And a little vertigo, which was not because of sublime emotion but due to the fact that my brain was merging my suddenly-sighted lazy eye with my right workhorse. I walked around with the tester, looking like a poor imagining of a steampunk commoner, but I was really happy.

I prepared myself for the cost of my new progressive lenses and frame and was a little shocked when it wasn't that astronomical (compared to my bridgework, which all my descendants will need to work to pay for, long after I quit this mortal coil). Unlike our parents' bifocals, the progressive lenses integrate near, middle and far distance corrections in one miraculous curve. It will require practice to shift my eyes around but that's fine.

My diet (do not blame the lovely liempo!) and smoking (gasp! can it be?!) SHOULD be next, but the willingness is not there. Yet. I think I can work out the diet thing, but smoking is... what? A quality of life issue (hahaha)? Overwrought overextended teenage rebellion? A writer's crutch? intellectually, I know it's horrible for me but part of me says "too bad, then" even as my cells, perhaps inevitably, form into the letter "C".

We'll see. (Or is it "Will C?")

14 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

No C!

Great you fixed your eyes! (in whatever way :P). I too, will probably need to get new glasses as both my eyes (even the left one) are beginning to see blurred images. :(

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Pardon the cliche, but health is wealth...

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hug day images and messages
happy hug day funny images
propose day hd images download
happy proposes day images free

4:07 PM  
Blogger jordan said...

Thank you for sharing such a informative blog.if you are suffering many problems in your life.get solutions or tips and astrology predictions of your problems from best astrologers of India for free on call or chat.
Gemini horoscope 2021
Taurus Horoscope 2021
Aries Horoscope 2021
Talk To Astrologer
Aaj ka Rashifal
Online Astrologer

6:11 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

Good article keep sharing this type information.talk to astrologer online for your good life.

online astrologer

4:37 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

This blog is very informative. thanks for sharing. acharya mukti ji and team comes under india’s best astrologers.

online astrologer talk

8:03 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

Nice blog thanks for sharing. Not able to make the right decision for your life..? Are you struggling to get the right direction..? consult acharya mukti team.

online chat with astrologer

7:46 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

Nice article. Thanks for sharing. Not able to make the right decisions for your life? Are you struggling to get the right direction. best astrologer in india

1:48 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

This site is very interesting. and usefull thanks sharing for this article. best astrologer in india consult acharya mukti team about your carrier.

talk to best astrologer in india
Astrologer near me
astrologer chat

8:02 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

Nice blog thanks for sharing. Not able to make the right decision for your life..? Are you struggling to get the right direction..? consult acharya mukti team.

Nice blog thanks for sharing. Not able to make the right decision for your life..? Are you struggling to get the right direction..? consult acharya mukti team.

10:34 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

Nice article thanks for this information. Consult best astrologer in india.

top astrologer near me

7:19 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

Such an amazing post, injoy read this article.Consult best astrologer in india.

Numerology 2021
Numerology predictions 2021

5:11 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

This blog is very informative. thanks for sharing. acharya mukti ji and team comes under india’s best astrologers.

talk to best astrologer in india
holi 2021

5:09 PM  
Blogger mukti said...

Good article keep sharing this type information.talk to astrologer online for your good life.

top astrologer in nepal
famous astrologer in nepal

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home