Wednesday, May 07, 2003

a marked improvement

Wednesday is new comic book day, and what was the first book I grabbed when I realized it was finally available?

Darna #2, of course.

I'd been wanting to see how the sophomore issue turns out, given my disappointment with the writing of the maiden issue.

After reading it I found that, with some exceptions ("And mute. And muter still. Save...for the whimper of puppies!"), the writing has shown a marked improvement. If this book continues on its upward road, then #3 should be an interesting read. It's no Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah, but apples are apples, oranges are oranges.

Lan Medina's art is better than Ryan Orosco with less of the T&A (though there is still flesh aplenty, it is more contextualized than gratuitous), and feels "right" - very Filipino, very "ours". I enjoyed his art here as much I enjoyed it in Fables.

Production value is high (though I got double covers, I'm not complaining) and there was actually something to read.

But again, where is Sneak Peek?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home