Saturday, May 03, 2003

yes, but dare i draw?

Among the numerous topics the gang discussed last night (including an almost eternal conversation about fanfic - right or wrong), we decided to come up with an impromptu project. Too early to reveal details, but it will involve the usual suspects and should be fast tracked for release.

Anyway, the upshot is I've decided to go out on a limb and illustrate my story myself. I know. It's going to be horrible, but if I restrict myself to drawing lines, circles and the occassional challenging triangle, it shouldn't look that bad. Sage could probably beat me in an art contest, but I hope it won't end up looking like crap. Of course, since Carl and Marco will be represented as well, I will suffer by direct comparison. Sigh. But still. For once I'd like to try doing it myself.

You know what's really odd?

I'm excited about the prospect of finally writing, "illustrating" and lettering my own stuff. Sounds cool. Very indie.

When I got home, I looked at the barest of tools I have: my mind, a doubting hand and my usual surfeit of arrogance.

I'm doomed.

So naturally, I hurled myself into sketching, trying to remember the advice Carl gave me, and have come up with at least one approach. What amuses me is that suddenly my writing has to conform to the humbleness of my drawing. Write about simple things shown in a simple way. The story, after all, should be able to take care of itself.

So I'm stoked. I really am. It won't look great, but I can call it mine - like the ingrown toenail I'm hesistantly nurturing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home