Friday, July 23, 2004

pirate booty

Billy and crew served up more quality films that made my wallet bleed.

A few weeks ago, Hong Kong released an onslaught of newly packaged films, ranging from American classics (e.g. The Birds, National Velvet, Chaplin fims, East of Eden) to selections from the new Asian powerhouse Korea to French, Indian, Japanese and of course, Hong Kong cinema (alas, nothing from Iran though - but I'm still hopeful). These discs retail for more than the regular knockoffs and have great packaging (but I was able to exert my "suki" smile and get them for what I usually pay).

However, cash rules and I didn't have much on me - so I was only able to get a few, eschewing everything else for Asian cinema with two exceptions (oh, but I will be back, my pretties):

M by Fritz Lang - I was stunned to find this gem.

Amadeus (Director's Cut) - A two-CD set of one of my favorite films.

Taboo - Beat Takeshi (Battle Royale, Zatoichi) directed by Oshima (In the Realm of the Senses, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence) in a period piece.

Rashomon - Akira Kurasawa's classic - now I don't miss my old laserdiscs.

Forbidden City Cop - Stephen Chow is the Man. I loved God of Cookery to bits.

Goodbye, friends! Hello, DVD player!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home