Thursday, May 05, 2005

logophile

I got my book fix today with a quick visit to the comic store and to the nearby bookstore.

The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases, edited by Jeff Vandermeer and Mark Roberts. I failed to find this book last year when we visited the US and am delighted to at last have a copy. A whole muster of speculative fiction writers contribute various imaginary ailments - and their symptoms, histories and cures - to this amusing anthology.

The Year Of Our War by Steph Swainston. I know next to nothing about this book, but the discriminating Banzai Cat got it, so, in best lemming fashion, so did I. If it sucks, it's his fault (haha) - from what I've read, it seems uneven, but we'll see.

I got Shadowmancer by G. P. Taylor, a seemingly universally reviled title for young readers, to see if it was that bad. Can a Christian vicar write fantasy without giving in to preachiness? We'll see.

I also picked up the new Hawkman trade (because a week without a trade paperback purchase is just too, too sad) and the first issue of Villains United (because I've always loved villain groups - from the Secret Society of Super-Villains to the Zodiac). I also got the second volume of Darywn Cooke's The New Frontier. And good cineaste friend Benjie sent me 500 Comic Book Villains by Mike Conroy - all the way from Cebu (thanks!).

So I do have stuff to read (actually, I still have a pile of anthologies and novels to plow through, but I honestly love the feeling of questing for then buying books).

However, if you haven't yet (shame on you), pick up a copy of K.I.A. Vol. I, Kai: Indomitable Assassin, the anthology masterminded by my spymaster Marco Dimaano (who has secret schemes of moving our barkada dinners to the Gateway in Cubao). Here's Ruey de Vera's review from the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home