Tuesday, September 13, 2005

tarzan boy and other musical closet skeletons

I almost choked to death laughing as Nikki and I read snurri’s version of this meme. Here’s the thing: go to this site. Look for the search box on the left. Fill it in with the year that you graduated high school. Click open the first search result – it will have a 100 songs. Now cut and paste that and comment on the songs from your wasted youth. Like snurri, I opted to bold the songs I like but I italicized the ones I hate. I did not format the ones I don’t remember at all (because, I realize, blogger only allows bold and italics and I can't be bothered to code anything else).

Okay, first thing: this was not my favorite year for music. That’s a toss up between 1983, 1984 and 1985 – my first three years in high school. Oh my god, wasn’t music just cool? It meant so much to be able to listen to the radio and own an extended vinyl version of a record. But still, 1986 wasn’t so bad – in fact, the entire 80’s are (inevitably) my favorite time for music. But where are the bands I really loved? Where are Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, The Cure, New Order?

Enough stalling. Let’s go!

1. That's What Friends Are For, Dionne Warwick, Elton John, and Gladys Knight - Argh! First song off and I have to confess that I like this sappy song. I can't help it - I even secretly want my entire karaoke group to perform it onstage. I know, I know. But I there's this part I really like...

2. Say You, Say Me, Lionel Richie - Eh. Apart from "All Night Long", I didn't care for Lionel Richie. There is a certain saccharine quality I find okay, but this is not it.

3. I Miss You, Klymaxx - Eh? I don't know this. But what a band name. It's not just the bash-your-brains-in subtlety, but it reminds me of this MArvel villain, Zzzzaxxx!

4. On My Own , Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald - Feh. Too much.

5. Broken Wings, Mr. Mister - I love this song! It has enough drama, and, with "Kyrie", has a neat video (if I remember right).

6. How Will I Know, Whitney Houston - Nah. It's one of those generic dance thingies - but I do know it.

7. Party All The Time, Eddie Murphy - Boring. Eddie Murphy should stick to acting. On second thought, scratch that.

8. Burning Heart, Survivor - What's this? I have no clue. Let's sing "Eye of the Tiger" instead. Hit it!

9. Kyrie, Mr. Mister - Yahoo! This is a great song. I remember mangling the words but singing anyway (which is the best way to sing -choke- which is with your heart -choke-)

10. Addicted To Love, Robert Palmer - Dull song but loved the video. All those tall, pouty girls, swaying with guitars, in black. Sigh.

11. Greatest Love Of All, Whitney Houston - My cousin, Kim, does a knockout version of this song, and so of course I tried and died at the high notes.

12. Secret Lovers, Atlantic Starr - Huh?

13. Friends And Lovers, Carl Anderson and Gloria Loring - Eh?

14. Glory Of Love, Peter Cetera - This is the Karate Kid theme, right? If it is, then I know it but didn't like it. Wax on, Wax off - Pat Morita, we love you.

15. West End Girls, Pet Shop Boys - That's more like it. I especially like the recitative/rap first part: "Sometimes you're better off dead..."

16. There'll Be Sad Songs, Billy Ocean - I do not like you, Billy Ocean.

17. Alive And Kicking, Simple Minds - Yes! I love these guys. Whatever happened to them?

18. Never, Heart - Haha, why does Carrie Underwood immediately come to mind? Because I prefer "Alone" to "Never" (though they both have the same subtext). Ah, big hair.

19. Kiss, Prince and The Revolution - This was before he converted his name to a symbol (to further muddy the already confused waters of semiotic discourse). This was neat, but I prefer the Tom Jones/Art of Noise cover - manlier, with balls.

20. Higher Love, Steve Winwood - Eh?

21. Stuck With You, Huey Lewis and The News - Why don't I know this? I know the other Huey Lewis songs!

22. Holding Back The Years, Simply Red - Ah, one of Vin's fave videoke songs. Love it.

23. Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel - Cool vid, but really blah.

24. Sara, Starship - Sarah o'Hara, I don't like you. "We Built This City" is anthemic, you're just...um, a girl.

25. Human, Human League - Despite the sappy bridge ("when you were human, I was human too"), it's quite cool. But really, there are better Human League songs.

26. I Can't Wait, Nu Shooz - I Can't Remember

27. Take My Breath Away, Berlin - Cool and sexy. Oh yeah.

28. Rock Me Amadeus, Falco - Sheer madness and genius, like the film.

29. Papa Don't Preach, Madonna - Years later, Nikki and I are watching an Irish film (or a film with an Irish family). The pregnant daughter, afraid to tell her father, gets drunk and sings this with fucking hilarious results. And yes, Madonna rocks. Nikki and I want "Like A Prayer" concert frocks - to dance like maenad priests and nuns.

30. You Give Love A Bad Name, Bon Jovi - Sorry, I don't like Bon Jovi.

31. When The Going Gets Tough, Billy Ocean - I still don't like you, Billy Ocean.

32. When I Think Of You, Janet Jackson - What's this? Where's "If"? Now that's a speculative fiction video. Watch "If". "If" rulez.

33. These Dreams, Heart - Good, but still - "Alone" forever!

34. Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone), Glass Tiger - Neato.

35. Live To Tell, Madonna - Of course I like this. But sadly, I stopped liking Mads after "Rain". Where's "Rain"? It had Ryuichi Sakamoto. Watch "Rain". "Rain" rulez.

36. Mad About You, Belinda Carlisle - She went solo and had this, and another one, then vanished, pudgy and all. But we loved the Gogos, didn't we?

37. Something About You, Level 42 - Cool. There are two other great songs from the same album, but not much else.

38. Venus, Bananarama - Infectious. I hear this, I dance. Sage looks at me in horror.

39. Dancing On The Ceiling, Lionel Richie - No, thank you.

40. Conga, Miami Sound Machine - Tongue-twisting lyrics and fast beat = party

41. True Colors, Cyndi Lauper - I prefered "SheBop" to Cyndi's slow songs. Still, she had her own thing going - until she sang out of a trash can ("Money Changes Everything" during a concert) and I jsut gave up. I wanted sexy glamour not shabby shit.

42. Danger Zone, Kenny Loggins - What's this, the Top Gun support group? I like Loggins ("Heart to Heart") but this was boring.

43. What Have You Done For Me Lately, Janet Jackson - She can dance, she can.

44. No One Is To Blame, Howard Jones - I like Hojo ("New Song") and this wasn't bad.

45. Let's Go All The Way, Sly Fox - Eh?

46. I Didn't Mean To Turn You On, Robert Palmer - What's this? Did it have tall Nordic blondes in blakc dresses too? Because if so, damn.

47. Words Get In The Way, Miami Sound Machine - Feh.

48. Manic Monday, Bangles - Cool. You'd hear people singing along the school corridors.

49. Walk Of Life, Dire Straits - Princess Di's favorite band. This one had a hokey feel. Not for me.

50. Amanda, Boston - Who are you, Amanda?

51. Two Of Hearts, Stacey Q - Nikki, I think, knows this. I don't.

52. Crush On You, Jets - Nice and boppy. "I found out..."

53. If You Leave, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Wow! An OMD song! I love OMD! This must be from "Pretty in Pink". Ugh. Molly Ringwald. Ugh. But OMD! Wow!

54. Invisible Touch, Genesis - Yeah, okay. Song doesn't really go anywhere, but okay.

55. The Sweetest Taboo, Sade - Teehee. When BJ was alive, during one of our Magic games he played an all Kavu deck (Kavu is a monster type) called "The Sweetest Kavu". Man, I miss my cousin.

56. What You Need, INXS - See? How can I enjoy Rockstar when I don't even know this song? And what makes people think that INXS was that huge anyway?

57. Talk To Me, Stevie Nicks - No, because I don't know you.

58. Nasty, Janet Jackson - She's hot.

59. Take Me Home Tonight, Eddie Money - Eh?

60. We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off, Jermaine Stewart - I'd really really really rather go home now, thank you, Jermaine.

61. All Cried Out, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam With Full Force - Not the song I know.

62. Your Love, Outfield - Huh?

63. I'm Your Man, Wham! - Eek! "Freedom" nalang!

64. Perfect Way, Scritti Politti - Coolness! Jasmin Jamora introduced me to this helium-voiced band. I also loved "Wood Beez"

65. Living In America, James Brown - Ignorant in the Philippines

66. R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A., John Cougar Mellencamp - bleh

67. Who's Johnny, El Debarge - Awww. I remember you. Aww.

68. Word Up, Cameo - Eh?

69. Why Can't This Be Love, Van Halen - Eh? There was life after "Jump"? ;)

70. Silent Running, Mike and The Mechanics - No, no, where's "All I Need is a Miracle"?

71. Typical Male, Tina Turner - okay, yes, she's hot.

72. Small Town, John Cougar Mellencamp - feh.

73. Tarzan Boy, Baltimora
- OMG, I'm guilty of bellowing out the Tarzanic chorus. Sheesh.

74. All I Need Is A Miracle, Mike and The Mechanics - Here it is! Here it is! Yay!

75. Sweet Freedom, Michael McDonald - Eh?

76. True Blue, Madonna - Sadly, this was quite boring.

77. Rumors, Timex Social Club - Haha, I remember dancing at Mars at longing for Dolly Duran.

78. Life In A Northern Town, Dream Academy - Really cool. It sounded unique.

79. Bad Boy, Miami Sound Machine - Trippy.

80. Sleeping Bag, ZZ Top - Eh? Aren't these two two huge guys with beards?

81. Tonight She Comes, Cars - Boring.

82. Love Touch, Rod Stewart - sorry, Rod. I've got a headache.

83. A Love Bizarre, Sheila E. - I guess she drummed her way in this, but it really doesn't really ring a bell.

84. Throwing It All Away, Genesis - Huh?

85. Baby Love, Regina - If this is the remake of the "Baby Love" I know, then I love it.

86. Election Day, Arcadia - Sob. This was during the time when Duran Duran sort of split up into Arcadia and Powerstation. I was such a Duranie in high school, even trying to make sense of their senseless lyrics. This one had atmosphere and Le Bon's trademark whining. Love it.

87. Nikita, Elton John - Yawn.

88. Take Me Home, Phil Collins - Eh? I think Jaime knows this.

89. Walk This Way, Run-D.M.C. - Eh?

90. Sweet Love, Anita Baker - I feel like I know this - how does it start?

91. Your Wildest Dreams, Moody Blues - Aww. I remember you too.

92. Spies Like Us, Paul McCartney - Sorry, can't recall.

93. Object Of My Desire, Starpoint - Huh?

94. Dreamtime, Daryl Hall - Not as memorable as their earlier songs but okay.

95. Tender Love, Force M.D.'s - I suspect it's the ballad but how can that be with Force M.D.?

96. King For A Day, Thompson Twins - TT had a good sound.

97. Love Will Conquer All, Lionel Richie - No, no, no. And not just because it's you, Lionel, who says so.

98. A Different Corner, George Michael - Okay

99. I'll Be Over You, Toto - There is an entire Toto song backlist waiting to be exploited for videoke night.

100. Go Home, Stevie Wonder - eh?

Gah! I'm way over my lunch break. But really, take a look at 1983-1985 and you'll see very good song is there.

Back to the grind now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home