Monday, May 15, 2006

dumaguete in pictures

I had an amazing time at Dumaguete, so much to write about and to be thankful for - first and foremost, to Ian Rosales Casocot. I will do so sometime soon when my schedule normalizes. Suffice it to say, with the exception of my flight home bring cancelled, I had one of the best times of my life - as a writer.

But for now, here are some pictures. All will be made clear soon, I promise. I'll post the pictures pellmell and sort out the narrative later.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ian Casocot, who made miracles occur with startling frequency. We were delighted to discover that we were, each, real.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
When I presented my novel to Mom, I was almost in tears. It felt like a big moment, an apprentice showing his creation to the craftsman. "What took you so long to come home?" she asked.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Part of the large mural for Salamanca. The artists invoked the sense of wonder of childhood by using simple illustrations of the various characters of my novel. This was my favorite, starring Shiro - one of the few who had a happy ending.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The workshops in the mornings and afternoons were like concentrated shots of epiphany, thanks to the insight of Mom Tiempo and the panelists.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fictionist Susan Lara and poet DM Reyes, two friends who shared their warmth and knowledge

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I'm a big fan of poet Marge Evasco, who bestowed a new word unto me - "Salamanquiero" or Wishcrafter.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I thought that Lawrence Ypil, one of the writers who wrote a blurb for Salamanca, was some older man. Instead, I found a fine brain in the prime of life.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cesar Aquino (or "Sawi") is one of Dumaguete's best writers. So he stunned me by agreeing to submit a story for consideration for Philippine Speculative Fiction Vol.2 - and promised to persuade Erwin Castillo (author of "The Firewalkers") to do the same.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Anthony Tan of the Mindanao State University in Iligan and I exchanged stories galore. From him I learned about John Ruskin.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Michellan Sarile, my buffetmate who was appalled that I threw cigarette butts into the sea. "It is biodegradable," I said, shamefacedly.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Creative Non-Fictionist Patricia Evangelista, with whom I had a midnight conversation about finding relevance.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I spent time on campus, eventually landing an improptu lecture gig in Ian's class. My topic? Science Fiction.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I delivered my big lecture on Speculative Fiction to a packed hall, ending with a challenge for the audience of writers, educators and students to restore Silliman to its days of writing glory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Silliman Hall, where I read Salamanca and waxed poetic about my literary agenda.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I was the guest of honor at a house in Valencia, in the mountains, with a spectacular view of Dumaguete. Thanks to Arlene Delloso-Uypitching and her family for the fantastic food and the heady conversation.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
At low tide, people walk the shallows beside the Boulevard.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Beginning late afternoon, tempura stands sprout out and offer excellent fare for only P3 a stick.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Bell Tower of Dumaguete was established during the Spanish era to thwart the predations of Muslim pirates.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Cocogrande Hotel where I stayed (and stayed again when my flight was cancelled due to the storm "Caloy")

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Everyone gets around mostly by scooter or pedicab (P6 for the first kilometer and P0.50 for every kilometer thereafter).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
DULA, the organizers of the workshop, treated the 2006 batch, the panelists and myself to dinner at swanky South Seas.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dumaguete Writers Workshop 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Poet Mickey Ybanez, of my batch, 1992. Yes, we were the artifacts of that bygone era. That's a pack of Astro cigarettes he's holding (yes, from that song)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Flight back to Manila cancelled on Saturday, after waiting for hours. I ended spending another two days in Dumaguete, waiting for an available flight.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Waiting and waiting and waiting. I ended up finishing all the books I brought with me, which is a good thing. I admired Jeff Ford's new collection, "The Empire of Ice Cream", but found his first book better.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Finally on my way home, still wary about any last minute complications.

1 Comments:

Blogger mohit said...

very nice pictures also see ivanka hot pictures

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home