Saturday, September 02, 2006

palanca 2006 + national book awards 2006

The past few days have been amazing. The literary awards season is always short but welcome, giving us a chance to eat and drink for free, chat up old and new friends, and get a brief pat on the back before returning to the task of writing.

Nikki and I won Palancas this year, her 2nd and my 9th. Her "Life After Beth" placed in the One-Act Play and my "How Rosang Taba Won A Race" placed in the Short Story for Children category. Here's the complete roster of winners for the Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature 2006.

The Litcritters arrived in force, found a strategic table (close to the buffet) and had a great time. I roamed around and took some pictures:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Glenn Mas, 1st Prize Full Length Play, "The Death of Memory". I'm always happy to see Glenn at the Palancas. He surprised me by brandishing a copy of Salamanca - glad to hear he's teaching at the Ateneo now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dr. Cirilo Bautista is always interesting to talk to. He's writing a novel that may well be his masterwork.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
National Artist Edith Tiempo is one of my favorite people on the planet. Her words are always encouraging (for as long as I behave myself - haha). I can't believe I've been in her company thrice this year.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I nagged Susan Lara about her submission to the upcoming spec fic antho, jokingly telling her that her smile won't work on the nasty editor in me. I could kick myself in the head for forgetting to take pictures of Marge Evasco and DM Reyes, both of whom I had a lovely talk with. But don't worry, I tend to include these three friends in my fiction somehow. :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I teased Dr. Vim Nadera about his subdued look this year - because he's usually a riot in terms of attire. "Kakain lang kasi," he smiled.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I was seated next to Palanca Hall of Famer Reynaldo Duque who had no choice but to mug for my camera.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I bumped into both Nick Pichay and Khavn a day earlier at the National Book Awards. And again at the Palancas where they were both judges.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Model-Writer-Editor Myrza Sison, 2nd Prize Short Story, "Sink or Swim".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
When the emcee was late, Krip Yuson almost became the replacement emcee. We pined for our old digs at the Manila Peninsula with its smoking room, flat screen TV and dancing girls. Krip assured me that he'll turn in his spec fic story before the deadline.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fellow smokers Migs Villanueva and Nikki Alfar. Migs won 1st Prize for Short Story, "Mahogany Water". Turns out we have the same camera.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Litcritters: Nikki, Vin Simbulan, Andrew Drilon, Kate Aton-Osias and Alex Osias. Like a cloud of locusts, we swept through the food and Bailey's.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Larry Ypil, 1st Prize Poetry, "The Highest Hiding-Place". Earlier on, he texted me "What do people wear to these things?". "A nice shirt," I replied.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nikki receiving her award. I was honestly happier for my wife than for myself! I am so proud of her.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Me getting mine. My old college crush, Ma. Elena Paterno-Locsin (sadly, not in the picture) made me swoon. Nikki and I are giving a talk about writing at her school at Fort Bonifacio this week.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Me with a little too much red wine.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A very happy married writing couple - 11 years of marriage and 11 Palancas. A lot of people offered us dual kudos.

Earlier in the week, the Manila Critics' Circle awarded "Siglo: Passion" the National Book Award for Best Comic. Vin Simbulan and I are thankful to all the wonderful writers and artists who worked on the book. Anthology prizes are awarded to the editors, but clearly it is the content that makes such things work - so this honor belongs to all who contributed to the book, as well as Nautilus Comics, our publishers. We are especially delighted because our agenda of creating comic books that push a more literary slant has been recognized.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Vin Simbulan with the mysteriously camera-shaped award.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home