Friday, January 30, 2009

baguio in summer

A bit of happy news: I just got an invitation informing me that I was selected as a Fellow for Fiction in English of the 48th UP National Writers Workshop set in Baguio City this coming April. I happily accepted, of course.

I don't know what it'll be like. The last workshops I was a Fellow in were both in 1992, when dinosaurs ruled the earth - in Siliman and UP Diliman (gah, 17 years ago). This one is different though, with the fellowship specific to "mid-career" writers (the others were for new writers).

"Mid-career". Middle-aged is more like it, describing me. I look forward to listening and learning, eternal student of writing that I am. One of the interesting things is that I'm required to give a presentation of my aesthetics as well as my writing history. Now those endless conversations with the LitCritters on poetics will have some use.

So in mid-April, spec fic slams into academia. I'll make sure to bring my ray gun (or reveal my sinister genetic link to the Deep Ones).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home