Tuesday, April 05, 2005

giving in to the book meme

After being tagged by association by Banzai Cat (who had a very brief dalliance with a change of nom de plume), and then point blank by The Bee Box Girl, I must finally give in and actually do one these memes that infest online journals (don't get me wrong, a part of me loves doing these things - but really, I'd rather write something else). Anyway, here we go:

Book at my bedside: Well, I have a wire basket that holds magazines, comics and a lot of books on my side of the bed (Nikki's books are more interesting). I don’t make enough time to read, so odds and ends (and a lot of anthologies) tend to accumulate there: Sir James George Frazer's The Golden Bough, H.A. Grueber’s Myths of the Norsemen, The Handbook of Folklore by Charlotte Sophia Burne, French Folktales by Henri Pourat, Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Living to Tell the Tale, Beast of the Heartland by Lucius Shepard, The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror Vol. 15 edited by Stephen Jones, Best of the Best : 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois, The Final Solution by Michael Chabon, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Kidd, The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene, The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem, and How to Travel with a Salmon & other Essays by Umberto Eco. Oh, and a small pile of non-fiction, mostly natural sciences, and the odd historical thing.

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
An omnibus collection of Marquez's stories. Not very good for running around and eluding people who want to terminate me since the house I'd try to hide in would probably levitate and be permeated with the scent of lost love or somesuch (not that I want Marquez to burn, of course, but there has to be some drama).

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Not in a clean, purely romantic sense. The Letters to Penthouse books, steeped in fantasy, "invigorated" my imagination though.

The last book you’ve bought is:
Poppy Cat's Playhouse Theatre, a popup book for Sage (you have to see this - the book folds out into a monstrously huge house with four rooms and accessories).

The last book you’ve read:
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Go and get this wonderful science book for yourself.

What are you currently reading?
The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers (borrowed from Nikki's side - I'm sorry to say that I am not a big Tim Powers fan though) and Dr. Tatiana’s Sex Advice to All Creation by Olivia Judson (a racy book about evolutionary biology).

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
Not comics, that's for sure. Too quick a read, even if I take the entire 18-volume set of Legend of the Condor Heroes.

1. My imaginary omnibus edition of everything Marquez has written. It would weigh no more than 5 ounces and fold neatly into my breast pocket, close to my heart.

2. The People's Almanac #2 by David Wallechinsky & Irving Wallace. Published in 1978, this is one book I have kept through various book purgings through the years. Informative and always surprising, it is hefty enough to kill an animal if I can throw it far enough.

3. Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Lou Guanzhong. This is the story I could never finish, because of the terrible way it is written. Unlimited time on an island means I'll actually have to plough through it.

4. Like many people, I'd get a Bible. Probably a huge illuminated volume. It has all the genres in it - romance, drama, action, horror (Revelations), slice of life, fantasy, scifi (Ezekiel, Daniel), gods and myths, western (Peter and Paul versus the worshippers of Diana in the New Testament), inspirational, law, poetry, philosophy, everything's in there. Even long lists of people in case I feel like memorizing something.

5. An empty book and something to write with. Might as well write something while I'm stuck there and edit it to death.

Who will you pass this quiz to?
Nikki, Vin, Buddha and El. Because we ask each other questions like this all night long anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home