Tuesday, April 01, 2003

chow yun fat(ter)

This morning as I rode the elevator down to leave my building, two men kept looking at me. One was of Indian descent, the other quite Filipino.

"Excuse me," the Indian man said. "Are you Chinese?"

"No," I replied.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"Because we thought you were that actor in Crouching Tiger," his Filipino friend said. "And I met him in Singapore. Even your height is the same. And your smile"

"Yes," the Indian said, "We saw you last week and were shocked."

"Sorry, wrong guy," I smiled, as the doors opened.

The funny thing is that I honestly do not think I look at all like like Chow Yun Fat. But people in the US thought so (and asked me for an autograph and a picture), people in HK thought so (a department store went into a swooning fit until I said "no, no") and my HK clients thought so too (to the point where I finally had a name card commissioned - on the Chinese language said, it had characters that said Ao Yun Fat, my own little joke).

Doppleganger? I don't think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home